Here is some healthy and easy kanji / porridge/ soup recipe for Ramadan as well as for other days. I have already posted our traditional Fenugreek rice porridge in coconut milk- Metthero kanji recipe.
Oats kanji is easy and simple. You can skip the chicken to make it veg oats soup.
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
- Chicken – 2 bone in pieces or boneless or minced chicken
- Onion – 1/2 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli – 1, chopped
- Tomato – 1/2 medium, finely chopped
- Vegetables – 1/2 cup chopped ( carrots, beans, sweetcorn, capsicum etc )
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oats – Quick cooking , 3 tablespoons
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – few
- Lime – 1
- Heat a pot or cooker, add 1 teaspoon oil/ ghee, add onion , saute till translucent.
- Then add ginger garlic paste. Saute till raw smell goes.
- Then add green chilli, tomato and sauté for a minute.
- Next add mixed veggies, corinader leaves, salt, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, saute well.
- Then add chicken, saute well, add 2.5 cups water.
- Then add 3 tbsp oats, mix well.
- Cover and cook till chicken is well cooked.
- Remove the chicken and discard the bones(if bone – in). Add the shredded chicken back to the kanji/ soup.
- Squeeze some lime juice. mix well.
- Oats kanji/ soup is ready to serve.
Also have a look at our Ramadan post as well as Soups & Salad recipes collections.