Paniyarams are popular food in South India. It can be prepared with rice or semolina. Its also called as “Appe”, “Guliappa” in certain places. To prepare paniyaram, it requires a special pan called as ” Paniyaram pan” .
I usually prepare paniyaram using Idli/Dosa batter. But this recipe is for making instant paniyaram using sooji / rava / Semolina, Its easy as well as tasty. It takes just 30 minutes rest time before cooking.
Its best for breakfasts as well as snack time. Rava paniyaram is best accompanied with any chutney like Coconut Chutney and Sambar. My personal favorite is Garlic chutney. So lets start with the recipe.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 10 – 20 minutes
Serves : 20 appe
Semolina/ Rava/ Sooji – 1 cup
Yoghurt – 1/2 cup
Water- 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – few, finely chopped
Curry leaves – few, finely chopped
Oil – 1 teaspoon
Onion – 1, small, finely chopped
Green chilly – 1 , finely chopped
Ginger – 1/4 th inch, finely chopped
Baking soda – a pinch
- In a large bowl, mix semolina and yoghurt to form a paste.
- Then add water and make a batter without any lumps. Add little more water if required.
- Add salt, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan, saute onion, green chilly, ginger for a minute.
- Add it to the batter and mix well.
- Cover the batter and let it rest for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Add a pinch of baking soda and mix well.
- Pour the batter in the paniyaram pan, cook till the base is light brown, turn the paniyaram and cook for another 3 minutes.
Rava paniyaram is ready. Serve them hot with Garlic chutney.
To kick start your day, eat healthy and tasty breakfast. We have a collection of South Indian Breakfast recipes like
Do try our recipes and let us know in comments. If you like the recipes then tag us #b2d_plate in instagram. Have a beautiful day.