Give a makeover to regular idlis with little twist. We have already shared similar recipes for leftover idlis such as
Here is another way to present the idlis as sandwich. Idlis are cut into halves and potato masala is filled between them along with any chutney or sauce to make a healthy sandwich. Best for breakfasts, snack time and even lunch box too.
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 6 sandwiches
- Idli – 6
- Potato – 1 , large
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal – 1/4 th teaspoon
- Asafetida( hing ) – a pinch
- onion – 1, small, finley chopped
- Ginger – 1/2 teaspoon , finely chopped/ paste
- Green chilly – 1 or 2 , slitted
- coriander leaves – few
- Salt – to taste
Prepare potato filling :
- Boil the potatoes , mash and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat ghee/oil, add mustard seeds, when splutters add urad dal and saute till lightly brown.
- Then add hing, next onion, ginger, green chilly and saute for a minute till translucent.
- Then add the mashed potato, salt and mix well. Switch off the flame.
- The filling should be dry so do not add water.
- Potato masala is ready.
Making sandwich :
- Cut the idlis into halves.
- Remove the green chilly from the potato masala.
- Fill the one half idli with masala, close it with other half like sandwich.
- Heat a pan, grease it with ghee, keep the filled idlis on the pan.
- Fry both the sides till light brown.
- Idli Sandwich is ready.
Serve it with ketchup as a breakfast, snack or even kids lunch box!