One of the popular mangalore dishes worldwide is chicken ghee roast. Its a semi dry dish which goes well with rice as well as chapati, dosa. Usually Mangalore chicken ghee roast is paired with Neer dosa. Its an easy & simple recipe with minimal ingredients with a preparation time of just 1 hour for marination.
Preparation time : 1 hour
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 5 – 6
- Ghee – 3 tablespoons
- Curry leaves – few
- Jaggery – 2 teaspoons ( grated )
For marination :
- Chicken – 1 kg, bone in , curry cut
- Curd/ yoghurt – 3 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lime – 1
- salt – to taste
For ghee roast masala :
- Dry red chillies – 4 (byadagi chilli)
- Garlic cloves – 4
- Fenugreek seeds ( methi seeds) – a pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Peppercorn – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cloves ( garam masala) – 2
- Tamarind – size of half lime, soaked.
- Marinate the chicken with curd, lime juice, turmeric and salt for 1 hour.
- Heat a pan, dry roast the dry red chilies and keep aside. Then dry roast cloves, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds for couple of minutes till nice aroma comes.
- In a blender add all the dry roasted ingredients, garlic cloves, soaked tamarind along with water and blend to a smooth paste. Ghee roast masala is ready.
- Heat ghee in a kadai, add curry leaves.
- Then add marinated chicken and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Then add the ghee roast masala, mix well and cook till chicken is done.
- Check salt at this stage and add if needed.
- Then add grated jaggery and mix gently.
- Cook till jaggery is melted, and mix gently .
- Mangalore chicken ghee roast is ready.
Serve the delicious Mangalore chicken ghee roast with steamed rice/ Ghee rice & dal palak to have a delicious meal.
Also check out our another version of Chicken Ghee Roast .
We have collection of Mangalore region recipes such as
- Mangalore style chicken curry
- Mangalore buns|Banana poori|Banana buns
- Fish curry (Mangalore style)
- Wheat upma/ Mangalore style sajjige
If you like our recipes then please leave a comment 🙂