Erachi choru is a kerala style meat rice. It can also be called as meat pulao because of the method. If you are bored of making biriyanis, then erachi choru is an easy take on that. Best thing is no sauting to make masala, no layering like biriyani but still as delicious as biriyani. I love such recipes!
Erachi choru can be prepared with chicken, mutton or beef. The cooking time and spice differs depending on the meat, where as the recipe remains the same. I have used jeerakshala rice. You can use basmati rice instead.
In this recipe I have cooked rice along with the cooked masala. However you can prepare ghee rice separately and then mix with the cooked mutton masala. Incase you are running out of time then preparing separately and mixing will also give quick and yummy erachi choru.
Erachi choru can be served with Pickled onions, raita and pappad.
- If you are using basmati rice, then wash and soak for 30 minutes. And while cooking add 4 cups of water for 2.5 cups of rice in the recipe.
- I have mentioned the recipe for pickled onions at the end of this recipe.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 30 – 45 minutes.
Serves : 5 – 6 servings
For masala :
- Mutton – 500 gms, ( curry cut preferred)
- Onion – 2 , large, sliced
- Tomato- 2, large, sliced
- Green chilly – 8 to 10
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
- Garam masala powder- 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves – a handful , chopped
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Peppercorn – 6
- Onion – 1, small, thinly sliced
- Jeerakashala rice – 2.5 cups
- Water – 3 cups (hot)
- Salt – if needed
- Lime – 1, juice
- In a large bowl add all ingredients mentioned under “for masala” ( Crush the ginger, garlic, green chilly together and add)
- Mix well for 2 minutes using hand.
- Cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Put this mutton in a cooker, add 1/4 th cup water, mix and close the lid.
- Cook the mutton till done.
- Mutton masala is ready. ( The masala will be little watery. Don’t worry. it will be balanced with the amount of water we are going to add while cooking rice).
- Heat ghee in a pot, add whole garam masalas mentioned in the list, saute for few seconds.
- Then add sliced onions, saute till they turn golden brown.
- Next add the mutton masala, mix well.
- Then add washed and drained rice to the masala, gently mix.
- Next add hot water. Check salt at this stage and add if needed. ( Because the masala already has some liquid, adding 3 cups of water will be enough to cook rice).
- Squeeze lime juice and Mix gently. Close the lid.
- Cook on high flame till you see boiling bubbles.
- Then lower the flame n cook till liquid dries off. Switch off the flame.
- Open the lid, fluff up the rice. Then cover the pot with aluminum foil and seal it nicely along with lid.
- Let it be in dum for another 10 minutes.( Remember , flames should be switched off)
- Erachi choru is ready.
Serve the hot and delicious erachi choru with pickled onions, raita and mango pickle.
For pickled onions,
- Thinly slice a large onions and put in a bowl .
- Then add finely chopped 1 green chilly, salt, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 3 tablespoons of water.
- Add a small piece of beetroot to give a lovely pink color to the onions ( optional).
- Mix well, cover the bowl and keep for 30 minutes.
- You can prepare this beforehand and keep in fridge for couple of days too.
You may also like our other kerala style rice recipes such as
- Thalassery Chicken biriyani
- Prawns pulao
- Ghee rice with Nadan Kozhi Curry / traditional Chicken Curry
- King fish biriyani