Here is the recipe for delicious lentil & spinach curry which is easy and quick to prepare. Adding spinach to our regular dal not only makes it tastier also nutritious because spinach has high nutrition value.
Serve dal palak with steamed rice or Ghee rice and with some Veg Starters to have a sumptuous vegetarian meal.
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4 – 5
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Spinach ( palak) – 1 bunch
- Ghee/ oil – 2 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Dried red chilli – 2
- Hing – a pinch
- Onion – 1 , medium , finely chopped
- Tomato – 1/2 , Medium , finely chopped
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- In a cooker/ pot , cook toor dal. Keep aside.
Blanch the spinach:
- Wash the spinach very well.
- Heat enough water in a pot, when boils switch off the flame.
- Immerse the spinach in the hot water for 2 minutes.
- Remove it and immerse in cold water for a minute.
- Drain chop finely and keep aside.
- Heat ghee/ oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds.
- When crackles add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Then add hing, dried chilli , garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Next add onion and saute for a minute till translucent.
- Then add tomato and saute till soft.
- Then add the chopped spinach , salt, red chilly powder and saute for 2- 3 minutes.
- When the spinach is cooked, add boiled dal and mix well.
Add around 1 cup water or more and adjust consistency .
- Close the lid and let it boil in medium – low flame for 2 -3 minutes.
- Dal palak is ready.
Serve dal palak with hot rice & any side dishes like Mangalore chicken ghee roast.
Also have a look at our other vegetarian curry recipes like
Do try our recipes and let us know the results in comments. Have a lovely day 🙂
Comfort dal to palate 💚
Yes. A comfort meal when paired with rice 🙂
I d like to try this 🙂
let me know how it tastes 😀