Here is the recipe for delicious lentil & spinach curry which is easy and quick to prepare. Adding spinach to our regular dal not only makes it tastier also nutritious because spinach has high nutrition value.
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4 – 5
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Spinach ( palak) – 1 bunch
- Ghee/ oil – 2 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Dried red chilli – 2
- Hing – a pinch
- Onion – 1 , medium , finely chopped
- Tomato – 1/2 , Medium , finely chopped
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- In a cooker/ pot , cook toor dal. Keep aside.
Blanch the spinach:
- Wash the spinach very well.
- Heat enough water in a pot, when boils switch off the flame.
- Immerse the spinach in the hot water for 2 minutes.
- Remove it and immerse in cold water for a minute.
- Drain chop finely and keep aside.
- Heat ghee/ oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds.
- When crackles add cumin seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Then add hing, dried chilli , garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Next add onion and saute for a minute till translucent.
- Then add tomato and saute till soft.
- Then add the chopped spinach , salt, red chilly powder and saute for 2- 3 minutes.
- When the spinach is cooked, add boiled dal and mix well.
Add around 1 cup water or more and adjust consistency .
- Close the lid and let it boil in medium – low flame for 2 -3 minutes.
- Dal palak is ready.
Serve dal palak with hot rice & any side dishes like Mangalore chicken ghee roast.
Also have a look at our other vegetarian curry recipes like
Do try our recipes and let us know the results in comments. Have a lovely day 🙂