Pindi chole is a north Indian dish made with chana/ chick peas. Here is a one pot recipe for a delicious pindi chole. I have used the regular spice powders available in Indian kitchen. Usually this recipe calls for Dry mango powder / amchur powder for sourness. But i have used chat masala instead. Also adding a tea bag while cooking chana gives a nice brown color to the pindi chole.
Pindi chole is best served with Batoora / Bhatura , poori, chapati. Chole with chawal ( Rice) is also a popular north Indian combo.
Preparation time : 8 hours of soaking chickpeas
Cooking time : 20 minutes
- Chick peas – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Onion – 1 large. finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Green chilly – 2, slitted
- Tomato – 1 large, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Jeera powder/ Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chat masala/ dry mango powder – 1 teaspoon
- Kasuri methi/ dry fenugreek leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Tea bag – 1
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – few, finely chopped
- Wash and soak the chick peas for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a cooker, add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick and saute for few seconds.
- Then add finely chopped onion, saute till light brown.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and green chilly, saute for a minute.
- Next add all powders mentioned above from no. 10 to 17. Saute well for a minute.
- Next add tomatoes and saute till they turn soft and mushy.
- Then add drained chickpeas/ chana, add salt and mix well.
- Add a 1.5 cups of water and mix well.
- Then place the tea bag on the chick peas, close the lid and cook till done.
- Usually chick peas takes 4 to 5 whistles to cook. Switch off the flame.
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid, remove the tea bag and discard.
- Switch on the flame, mash the cooked chana little bit, using ladel, to get thick gravy.
- Add water and adjust the consistency.
- Add coriander leaves and mix.
- Pindi choley is ready to serve.
Keep onion slices, green chilly and serve it hot with rice or poori.
Check out our Chana masala recipe too.
You may also like our other one pot recipes such as