Khichdi is a dish from the Indian cuisine, made from rice and lentils. In this recipe I have used moong dal ( split green gram). It can be prepared using any lentils like toor dal, bajra, sabudana etc. Adding veggies like carrots, green peas, beans makes it protein packed meal.
Khichdi is a comfort food which is eaten all over India with little bit variations. Its considered very healthy and easy to digest, hence most people give khichdi for babies and the sick as its bland in taste. But a well made kichdi with little masalas is very delicious and nourishing to everyone.
Preparation time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
- Jeer rice/ basmati rice – 1/2 cup
- Moong dal – 1/3 cup
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon or more
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
- Bay leaf – 1
- Onion – 1 , small, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilly – 2 , slitted
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1/2, small, finely chopped
- Carrots, beans, green peas – 1/2 cup, chopped (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 4 cups.
- Take rice and moong dal in a bowl together , wash well and drain.
- Heat ghee in a cooker or kadai, add cinnamon stick, bay leaf, saute for few seconds.
- Next add onions and saute till translucent and add ginger garlic paste, green chilly and saute till raw smell goes.
- Then add tomatoes, vegetables , salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder and saute for a minute.
- Then add drained rice and moong dal, mix well, then add 3- 4 cups of water, mix well.
- Close the lid and cook for 3 whistles or till they are very well cooked.
- Open the lid, take out the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, green chilly and discard.
- Mash the khichdi with back of the ladle and if needed add water to get the consistency of your preference.
- Serve the hot khichdi with pickle and papad.
If serving babies then do not add green chilly.
You may also like our other vegetarian rice recipes such as