Soya chunks pulao, a simple and healthy protein packed rice dish best for family meal time or even for a large crowd. Meat like texture of soya chunks makes this pulao similar to non veg pulao.
This recipe is very simple and one pot recipe. Soya chunks are marinated in yoghurt and spices for just 10 minutes. Rice and soya are cooked together to give flavorful rice and soya too. I have not added any extra vegetables in this pulao, however you can add potato, beans, carrots, green peas along with soya chunks.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Serves – 3 – 4
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Hot water – 1. 75 cups
- Soya chunks – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 medium, thinly sliced
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 1 piece
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 4
For marination :
- Yoghurt – 3 tablespoons
- Red chilly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilly – 2 , finley chopped
- coriander leaves – few, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 teaspoon
- Lime – 1/2
- Salt – to taste
- Wash and soak the biriyani rice for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Wash and soak the soya chunks in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out the soya chunks and keep aside. Discard the water.
- Add al ingredients mentioned under “for marination ” in a bowl.
- Add the soya chunks into the bowl and mix well. Marinate the soya chunks for 10 minutes.
- Heat a cooker or pot, add ghee, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves and saute for few seconds.
- Then add onions and saute till they turn light brown.
- Then add marinated soya chunks and mix.
- Then add drained rice and mix gently.
- Then add hot water, mix gently and close the lid.
- Cook on medium heat for 1 whistle or till done.
- Open the lid when pressure settles, fluff the rice with a fork.
- Juicy and delicious soya pulao is ready .
Serve the soya pulao with raita and pickle.
You may also like our other vegetarian pulao recipes such as