I never knew about palak chaat till 2016 Ramadan , when my close friend Fathima Zohara made this for ifthar party. I was amazed with the taste of this different kind of chaat and the recipe was so simple.
I usually made palak curry in coconut masala, Palak paneer, Palak poori, Palak cheese paratha etc. But this palak chaat was next level. Palak fritters are prepared and garnished with yoghurt, green chutney, tamarind chutney, onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves, sev etc. to give this crunchy spicy tangy sweet ( literally all flavors) yummy and partially healthy ( I say partially because, palak is deep fried here) snack.
My kids love the palak fritters. They call it palak chips. 🙂
I make green chutney and tamarind chutney and store in refrigerator. I have included recipes for these chutneys too.
For Palak fritters :
- Palak leaves ( spinach) – 1/2 bunch
- Besan ( gram flour ) – 1 cup
- Rice powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red chillly powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Ajwain seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
For Green chutney :
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 bunch.
- Mint leaves – a handful
- Green chilly – 4 ( or as requires)
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chaat masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 2 cloves
For tamarind chutney :
- Tamarind – 1 cup tightly packed ( seeds removed )
- Jaggery – 1/4 cup ( or more )
- Red chilly powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – a pinch
To make chaat :
- Yoghurt – 1/2 cup, whisked
- Chaat masala – to sprinkle
- Onion – 1, medium, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – handful , finely chopped
- Sev – 1/2 cup
- Pomegranate seeds – as required ( optional)
Step 1 : Prepare green chutney
- Blend all ingredients mentioned under ” for green chutney” together to a thick, fine paste. Add water if required.
Step 2 : Prepare tamarind chutney :
- Add 2 cups of hot water to the tamarind and soak for 15 minutes. Strain and remove the pulp.
- Heat the pulp in a sauce pan, add jaggery, red chilly powder, salt and boil till thickens.
- Cool down the chutney and use.
Step 3 : Prepare palak fritters :
- Add gram flour ( besan) , rice powder, salt, red chilly powder, ajwain seeds in a bowl. Add enough water to make a semi thick batter.
- Wash and clean the palak leaves, cut the stem, dip in batter and deep fry.
Step 4 : Make chaat
- Place the palak fritters on the plate.
- Pour yoghurt, chaat masala, green chutney, tamarind chutney over the fritters.
- Then sprinkle onions, coriander leaves, sev on top.
Crunchy, delicious palak chaat is ready to serve.
Check out our other chaat recipes such as