Butter Chicken biryani is a delightful fusion biryani .All the flavor of butter chicken is infused into rice to get this delicious dish.
When I saw the recipe on foodfusionpk , I felt it was an interesting recipe to try as butter chicken is my kids’ all-time favorite and my hubby is very fond of biryani . So I tried my hands on their recipe – along with itsy- bitsy twists of mine to the same. Believe me, it was mind blowing. Both my hubby and kids gave double thumbs-up. So go on, give this recipe a try .
For the Biryani rice :-
- Rice – 2 and 3/4 cups
- bay leaf – 1
- cloves – 4
- cardamom – 3
- cinnamon stick – 1/4 inch
For the chicken marination :-
- chicken breast – 500 gms
- ginger – a small piece
- garlic – 3-4 cloves
- green chilly – 2
- paprika powder – 2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- yoghurt – 1/4 cup
- salt – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
For the butter chicken masala :-
- onion – 3
- tomato – 3
- green chilly – 2-3 (for extra spice, optional)
- ginger – garlic paste – 1/2 tablespoon
- red chilly powder – 1 – 1.5 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- salt -1 teaspoon
- kasuri methi /dried fenugreek powder – 1 teaspoon
- mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- cream – 3-4 tablespoon
- saffron -5-6 strands
- butter – 5-6 tablespoon
- oil – 2-3 tablespoon
Pre – preparations :-
- wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- finely slice one large onion . Deep fry until golden and crispy (birista)
- finely chop 2 medium onions.
- puree the tomatoes by blending in the grinder without adding water
- soak saffron strands in about 1/4 cup water to use as biriyani color.
- cut the chicken breast into medium sized cubes. wash and pat dry.
- make a paste of green chilly, ginger and garlic to be used for chicken marination.
Let’s get started :-
- marinate the chicken cubes in ingredients mentioned under ” for chicken marination” . Keep aside for at least half an hour.
- Heat oil in kadai and shallow fry the chicken cubes until done (for about 15 minutes). keep it aside.
- To cook the rice – Heat enough water in a vessel. Add in all of the whole garam masala mentioned. when water starts boiling, add salt and rice. Cook till it is 3/4 th done. Drain and keep it ready
- In another pot, heat 2 sticks of butter and 3-4 tablespoon of oil.
- sauté finely chopped onions until it turn translucent.then add green chillies (optional) and ginger- garlic paste. saute till raw smell goes. Then add pureed tomatoes. mix well and cook for couple of minutes
- add red chilly powder , coriander powder , turmeric powder , garam masala powder and salt. Combine well. add 1/2 cup of water and cook till it comes to boil.cover and cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes
- then add kasuri methi and fried chicken pieces . Cover partially and cook on medium flame for about 5-8 minutes
- Sprinkle half of the golden fried onion (birista) and mint leaves.
- Add in cream .Give it a good mix.
- Add the cooked rice evenly on top of the butter chicken masala.
- sprinkle saffron water , remaining fried onions. Optionally , decorate with mint leaves.
- make 4-5 holes on different parts of rice through to the masala. Add in little butter in each hole.
- Cover well and steam cook for about 10 minutes.
Butter Chicken Biryani is ready ! Give a gentle mix , Serve and enjoy !
Have a look at our collection of biryani recipes –
- Vegetable biriyani
- Thalassery Chicken biriyani
- Prawns Biryani
- Hyderabadi mutton biriyani
- Chicken Dum Biryani