Dahi baingan or dahi wale baingan is a yummy, tangy and easy recipe made using eggplant, yoghurt and some spices. Baingan/ eggplant slices are shallow fried till golden, then mixed with spicy masala, then arranged over whisked yoghurt. It serves as a salad as well as curry for rice or roti.
I was introduced to this dish in a restaurant in Dubai. Those who do not like eggplant, like me, will also fall in love with this. It’s that yummy!
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
- Brinjal/ eggplant/ baingan – 1, purple color ones
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Chilly flakes – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Yoghurt / curd – 1.5 cups + 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – few, finely chopped for garnish
- Chat masala – to garnish
- Slice the brinjal/ baingan/ eggplant thin & even.
- Heat oil in a pan, shallow fry them till light brown on both sides. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, remove excess oil and keep 1 tbsp oil.
- Add chopped onions , saute till translucent.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, salt and saute well till oil separates from side.
- Then add 2 tbsp curd and mix well.
- When boils add fried brinjal , cook for few seconds, then flip and make sure brinjal is coated well with masala. Switch off the flame.
- In a serving dish, arrange half of brinjal masala, then pour half of whisked curd, then again remaining brinjal masala and curd.
- Garnish with chaat masala & coriander leaves.
- Dahi baingan is ready to serve.
Serve the delicious dahi baingan with rice or roti.
We have few more eggplant/ baingan recipes such as