Prawns ghee roast is an aromatic and flavourful seafood delicacy of Mangalore. The magic of fresh ghee roast masala paste, ghee and a dash of jaggery makes this dish delicious with right balance of flavours. Mangalore ghee roast dishes are usually paired with Neer dosa. But it equallly goes well with Ghee rice, steamed rice too.
In this recipe the marinated prawns are shallow fried in ghee before adding to the ghee roast masala, unlike cooking the chicken with masala in Mangalore chicken ghee roast. If you add the raw prawns directly to the ghee roast masala, it will release water and will change the texture of dish. This tip is from my own experience with this dish.
Let’s start with the recipe for this delicious Mangalore style prawns ghee roast. 🙂
- Ghee – 4 tablespoons
- Curry leaves – few
- Yoghurt – 2 tablespoons
- Jaggery – 2 teaspoons ( grated )
For marination :
- Prawns – 500 gms , cleaned
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lime – 1
- salt – to taste
For ghee roast masala :
- Dry red chillies – 5 (byadagi chilli)
- Fenugreek seeds ( methi seeds) – a pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Peppercorn – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cloves ( garam masala) – 2
- Garlic cloves – 4 cloves
- Tamarind – size of half lime, soak in 1/4 cup water
- Marinate the cleaned prawns in turmeric powder, salt and lime juice for 15 minutes.
Preparing ghee roast masala paste :
- Heat a pan and dry roast the byadagi chillies, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cloves till they are aromatic, around 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and allow it to cool down.
- Blend these dry roasted spices, garlic cloves, tamarind along with water to make a smooth paste.
Making prawns ghee roast:
- Heat ghee in a pan and shallow fry the marinated prawns. ( do not add the marination liquid)
- Remove the prawns and keep them aside.
- In the same pan, add curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Then add ghee roast masala, saute and cook on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Then add yoghurt/ curd, mix and cook for a minute.
- Next add fried prawns to the masala and mix well.
- Let it cook on medium flame till ghee separates from the sides.
- Add jaggery, 1 tbsp ghee and cook for a minute.
- Mangalore style prawns ghee roast is ready.
Garnish with few curry leaves and serve hot 🙂
Have a look at our other Mangalore special recipes collection.