Mutton pepper fry is a simple recipe where mutton is cooked in pepper, other spices and then roasted in coconut oil. It tastes great along with plain rice, Ghee rice, roti, malabar parota, paththir any sort of Indian bread.
This is the easiest & quick mutton dry recipe. Mutton should be cut into small pieces for this recipe. Boneless mutton is much preferred however you can use mutton with bone too. The mutton is mixed with all spices first and cooked with just 1/4 cup water. Add the cooked mutton with its liquid ( masala) while roasting to get best results. Coconut oil is much recommended for roasting the cooked mutton pieces.
For cooking mutton :
- Mutton – 1/2 kg, cut into small pieces
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Black pepper powder- 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
For frying :
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Onion – 1, medium, thinly sliced
- Green chilly – 2
- Lime – half
- Add all ingredients mentioned under ” for cooking mutton” into a mixing bowl. Mix well with hands.
- Add 1/4 cup water and cook mutton in a pressure cooker till well cooked. It takes approx. 5 -6 whistles. It depends on mutton too.
- Let the pressure settle down, open the lid and keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add curry leaves, onion and green chilly.
- Saute for 3- 4 minutes till onion turns lightly brown.
- Then add the cooked mutton along with its liquid.
- Saute well and let it cook until liquid is completely evaporated.
- Add lime juice and toss.
Kerala style mutton pepper dry is ready to serve.
Have a look at our other Non veg starters recipes too 🙂