Chicken stew is a very mildly spiced , flavourful curry made by cooking chicken in coconut milk. We call this curry as koli pulkyad in Beary language. This is my husband’s grand-mom’s recipe. We call her Belama. Belama hails from Ponnani, Kerala. Belapa ( grand-dad) is from Mulki, Karnataka.This chicken stew is loved by all in our family. I learnt this recipe from my mom-in-law.
This is the easiest chicken curry I ever made. Not a drop of oil is used in this recipe yet it tastes extraordinary. This curry can be made anytime, even on your busy days as this is saute free. This delicious curry can be paired with plain rice, Ghee rice, Idli, Appam, Idiyappam / Nool Puttu etc.
I am happy to share belama’s recipe here. Give it a try and you will surely like this.
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes.
- Chicken – 500 gms, curry cut
- Onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, chopped
- Ginger – 1/2 inch, chopped
- Garlic – 4 cloves , chopped
- Green chilly – 5 , chopped
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Corinader leaves – a handful
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups
Preparing coconut milk :
- Thick Milk has to be extracted from coconut by blending 1 cup of coconut with 1 cup of water.
- Blend well enough for 3 – 4 minutes to get thick milk.
- Squeeze the coconut milk into a bowl using filter. Keep aside.
- Add the coconut remaining in the filter to the blender along with 2 cups water and blend well to get thin coconut milk.
- Squeeze the thin milk to another bowl and keep aside.
Chicken stew :
- Take a curry pot, add chicken, onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, green chilly, curry leaves, turmeric powder, salt, thin cococnut milk.
- Mix them, switch on the flame and let it cook on medium flame.
- Once the chicken is well cooked add the thick coconut milk and let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves. Switch off the flame.
That’s it! Absolutely delicious chicken stew is ready to serve 🙂
Have a look at our other kerala recipes such as