Chicken ghee roast is a very popular Mangalorean dish whose origin goes back to kundapur (a small town near Mangalore). Chicken pieces are marinated with dry roasted spices and then cooked in ghee for a rich flavor along with finely chopped onion and tomato. I have made a small variation to the authentic recipe. I have added capsicum which imparts a unique flavor to the dish. We have also uploaded the recipe of authentic Mangalore chicken ghee roast recipe. Have a look at it too!
Check other Mangalorean recipes like :-
- Fish curry (Mangalore style)
- Mangalore style sajjige
- Mangalore style mutton curry
- Mangalore style spicy fish gravy
Chicken Ghee roast :-
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 40 minutes
- Chicken (bone in or boneless) – 1 kg
- ginger-garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- curd – 2 tablespoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- onion – 1 small
- tomato – 1 medium
- capsicum – 1 big
- ghee – 3 tablespoon
- curry leaves – 1 sprig
For the ghee roast masala :
- dry red chillies – 6
- coriander seeds – 2 teaspoon
- methi /fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- jeera – 1/2 teaspoon
- black peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
- garlic – 4 cloves
- tamarind paste – 1 tablespoon
- Heat a skillet. Dry roast red chillies, coriander seeds, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds on low flame until nice aroma of the spices wafts through the air. turn off the flame . Let it cool.
- Blend the roasted spices along with garlic and tamarind into a smooth paste (add a little water) in a mixer.
- wash and clean the chicken well. Marinate it with the blended ghee roast masala, ginger-garlic paste, curd ,turmeric powder and salt.
- Transfer the marinated chicken to a thick bottomed pan. Add in finely chopped onion and tomato. Switch on the flame.Let it cook.(do not add water)
- When the chicken is half done, add ghee and capsicum. Let it get cooked in medium-low flame.
- Add the curry leaves when the water is almost dried. Keep stirring. Cook until water gets dried completely.
Note : If you wish to, you may let the marinated chicken to rest for 30 minutes .
Check our blog for a collection of Chicken recipes !