Here is a simple recipe to make masala for fish fry using the spice powders. Its quick because no grinding the spices like traditional method. This is suitable if you run out of dry long chillies, now we are facing it actually because of lockdown. Its simple and no compromise in taste too.
For Mangalore style rava fish fry, dip each marinated fish in the rava and shallow fry to get a crunchy fried fish. That’s our family favorite. yumm!
If you are looking for traditional style masala with whole spices, then check this Fish fry Mangalore style recipe.
Note : ” Optional ingredients “
- I have used vinegar to add tanginess. However you can use lime or tamarind instead.
- Fry it in coconut oil for better flavor. You can use any other oil too.
- Adding curry leaves while frying makes the fish fry tastier.
- Fish – any, 500 gms
- Kashmiri red chilly powder – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Vinegar – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Clean the fish well, pat dry and keep aside.
- Make slits on the fish before marinating so that the masala can penetrate inside thoroughly.
- Take all other ingredients in a mixing bowl, add few drops of water to make a thick masala.
- Marinate the fish in this masala for 30 minutes at least.
- Shallow fry them on medium heat for around 5 – 8 min each on both sides or till done.
- As I have mentioned earlier, fry in coconut oil, add curry leaves while frying to make this fish fry tastier.
For fish rava fry :
- Spread a handful of rava (semolina) on a plate.
- Dip and coat the marinated fish.
- Use hands to sprinkle the rava on the fish till its coated well on both sides.
- Then shallow fry like usual.
Serve the hot fish fry with rice, sambar or fish curry, any veg poriyal to have a Mangalore style lunch.
Looking for more mangalore special recipes?