Basbousa is a Middle Eastern sweet made from semolina. Its a very simple recipe with few ingredients. The batter made with semolina, dessicated coconut are baked till they turn golden brown. Sugar syrup is poured over the hot basbousa and can be served warm.
Baking time : 30-40 minutes
For basbousa batter :
- Semolina – 1 cup, (fine rava )
- Dessicated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- All purpose flour – 4 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Cooking cream – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Blanched almonds – few
For sugar syrup :
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Lime juice – 1/2 tsp
- Rose water – 1/4 tsp
- While baking, prepare the sugar syrup and keep it ready.
- To prepare sugar syrup, boil water and sugar together till sugar is dissolved.
- Add lime juice and let it boil on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Add rose water drops and switch off the flame.
To make basbousa :
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- In a deep bowl, add all ingredients mentioned under “for basbousa batter” and hand whisk till well combined.
- Grease a baking tin/ pan with butter.
- Pour the basbousa batter to the greased tin and spread evenly.
- Place almonds evenly.
- Bake it for 30 – 40 minutes or till top turns golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- I use cooking range so I bake it for 30 minutes and grill for another 5 minutes to get the golden brown top.
- Remove from the oven, line it with sharp knife to square/ diamond shape.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the hot basbousa and let it sit till sugar syrup is completely absorbed.
Absolutely delicous basbousa / semolina cake is ready to serve.
Have a look at our other dessert recipes such as